Monday, January 4, 2010

One Little Word, 2 Valentine Swaps, 3 New Treats

One Little Word
I have been a follower of Ali Edwards for a long time She is a premier scrapbooker, photographer and writer. Her resume is impressive and you can read about her yourself here. Every year she issues a challange to her readers, One Little Word.

 Choose one word that will be an inspiration for you in the upcoming year....something to motivate you perhaps or keep you on track. The first two years she proposed this exercise, I just read and followed along. Last year I finally chose a word; FOCUS; and tried to remember to do that. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't, but it did make me aware of the areas I needed to work on. This year I am again choosing a word and I invite you to join me. There are no requirements; you don't have to tell anyone what the word is; this is for YOU!  My word this year is MANAGE. I need to learn to manage my time better, manage my health better and manage my priorities better. I've often said that I really believe that I have undiagnosed adult A.D.D. I am easily distracted and can fritter away time better than most. This year I need to take back my life and my time and MANAGE both in a healthier way. OK now-I've put myself out there. I'll keep you posted on how I'm doing!
Valentine Swaps
I am participating in two Valentine Swaps. (I love Valentine's Day!) The first one is with the group that I swap with every season...A Swap For All Seasons, Vintage Valentine Swap.  I love this group and I'm very excited that my swap partner is none other than the hostess premier...Linda Smith!
The second swap, Cathy's Amour Valentine Swap, is with Cathy Scalise of Treasured Heirlooms. She is an extremely talented woman as you can see by her boutique here, and this is her first time hostessing a swap. Looking at the names of some of the other participants fills me with excitement and anxiety both...but I'm really looking forward to filling a "box of love" for whoever my partner happens to be. I think there may be time to sign up for this one! (Cathy said if you can't find a heart shaped box, you can use a box of a different shape) (Am I managing OK?...it's only 2 swaps this month)
3 Packages in the Mail
These things did not all come in the same week but they are all very special and I thought I'd share them.
Do you remember me telling you about winning a $75 gift certificate to Amazon from PJ's blog (Seens From the Back of My Eyelids)? I debated about what to use it for and finally decided I would get a "Cricut Create "die cutting machine.

I am super excited to have this little beauty and hopefully, will get it out of the box and try it in the next week or so. (My sister and BIL are coming this Wednesday for a few days so it might not be until next week) I know I've linked to PJ's blog before but hop over if you get a chance...she is a wonderful writer and a hoot to boot! With all of the post-Christmas sales, I have been able to get a pick up a few cartridges for the Cricut, too.(Thanks again PJ-this is the biggest contest I've ever won!)
The second treat came from the Joli Paquet blog.


They had a give- away in December and I was so lucky to win this gorgeous piece made by Brandy Faulkner of Brandywine Design. Don't you love the antique look of it with the vintage glitter and beautiful tag? Thanks Brandy-I love it!
The third item  is wonderful and I knew my friend Mary Lou would want to see the newest additon to my Larkspur Lane angel collection.

Her name is Legna Harmony and she goes around silently sprinkling Peace over all. Did you notice her minty green Mary Jane's? Here are some others I left at the store...

and this cute bear...I think he is called "bearly there"...


The cardboard box has eye holes and goes over his head! It was a hard decision to make but I ended up with just the angel. Now the awesome part of this was that they were all 50% off. The shop is Posies By Patti and this is Patti...

my friend for many years and the owner of the shop where magic happens! My dear friend Pam and I went to visit Patti last week and we had such a fun time I didn't take many pictures of us but did get some of the remaining Christmas decorations. (You can click on any of the pictures to make them larger...such detail!)



Patti has a flair for decorating and arranging flowers. It was a treat to watch her work and see all of the beautiful things in her shop. We also were able to kidnap her for a bit and take her to Joyce's Cafe (no relation...but I did have to laugh about that) for lunch... the three of us had a wonderful afternoon!
OK-I'm off to manage the rest of my day! Lots of tidying up to do before guests come.
My trees are still up (thank heavens for faux!) and will probably remain up until
next week some time, which suits me fine. I never tire of the lights.
I hope you are warm wherever you are!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Joyce,
What a wonderful post! I am thinking of the a word that decribes what I need to do for myself this year. I went on Ali's blog, I just love it! I am so excited about this year, and the ability for myself to do what I need to do for once! I have lots of good friends that can support me this year, and I know changes will happen! I stopped by to tell you how very much I loved the felt hearts that Elizbaeth had on her blog! Simple, which for me, is a start! Where dod you get the felt? I need to stop "looking" as I buy way more than I need, and just go to the spot that has the item I am looking for! So, if you coudl let me know, I woudl appreciate it!

Celestial Charms said...

Joyce,
Yay for you and your attempt to get more organized. I need to work on that too. Ali Edwards is such a talent. You picked a great thing to use your certificate on, something to use over and over again. Legna Harmony is so sweet and divine looking, and the glittering Christmas tree tag that you won is lovely.
Enjoy your week.
Maureen

SweetBellaBug said...

Just adore your new angel! And the shoes?!? Where can I get me some of those - I have a cardigan that same shade of green - would look perfect with a pair of jeans! hehehe
Can't wait for you to get your cricut out of the box, and get some time to play with it - I really think you are going to enjoy it - I know I love my Silhouette :)
"Manage" is a great word for the year - although today, I'm thinking "survive" would be a good one for our house - wink. Still trying to decide what my word will be. I'm sure you are thinking it should be "post" to your blog... hehehehe
Hope to see you soon! We all miss you!
xoxoxo
~Bethanie

Unknown said...

What a post Joyce! So much to inspire! Your one word "Management" is my key note word as well this year. I have been struggling to compose a post talking about scaling back to personal crafting. Very hard for me, I love the mail! My husband has been on the list to be terminated for over a year now, we are still hanging in there. The suspense is very unsettling. We both have made commitments to cut spending where ever possible. Mine is postage and Etsy (boo hoo, and it is not even Lent!) I am most comfortable enjoying others work, so nervous about my own; so this is really a good thing for this New Year! I can't wait to see all that you create with your Cricket! All of your mail was out of this world! E

South City Hues said...

Thank you for sharing the One Little Word post. What a fabulous idea. Since I did not decide on a New Year's resolution, I am chosing a word instead. There are a couple words I have in mind but I am sure it will take me a day or more to see which one calls to me the loudest.
Have a Wonderful New Year,
Susie
ps. Love Legna!

marie said...

This is a great post Joyce and manage is a great "little word". I'm anxious to get some tips from you as you're inspired by it this year.

Lucky you to have Linda as your swap partner. Her sister Susie was mine for the cabinet card swap. There she is ~ up above! Hello South City Hues!

I don't know anything about those Cricut machines ~ but it sure looks impressive. I can't wait to see what you do with it. Maybe you can make a bunch of sparkly trees! The one you received is so pretty ~ love the tag and the silky ribbon. I also love Legna Harmony. How cute is she! And that "bearly there" bear ~ I need him! Is Posies by Patti near your home? It looks like a place I would love to visit!

Hugs to you!

Mimi Sue said...

Your little Legna is adorable. That would be hard to choose, they are all so cute. Mimi

Twyla and Lindsey said...

You are going to love your Cricut! Lindsey has one and it does the most amazing things. If you have any questions about it you are welcome to email us. They also have Cricut classes at Lindsey's scrapbook store so you might check and see if any of the stores in your area offer such classes. Have a nice week! Twyla

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Hi Joyce! Yay for the cricut purchase!!! Excellent!

The other things are lovely. I am a big fan of the vintage glitter stuff.

Patti's store is WONDERFUL!!!!!

Sandy said...

Hi Joyce! I love Ali E. too and was so fortunate to meet her in person and take an album class with her! Congrats on your wins and I would have purchased a Criciut too if that were me! I love Legna (did you know that means 'wood' in Italian?) Patti's shop looks charming too. I hope my Valentines collages will help inspire you with your Valentines swaps :) Have a great week!

Sandy xoxo

Bev said...

Love your Angel, but that bear sure is funny! Congrats on your winnings! I'm sure you'll love that Cricut! Trying to stay warm here....so tired of the snow and shoveling it!

Elyse said...

hi joyce,

what a great post! it's full of pretty things and places! i love your prize from brandy (she's amazing) and the shop is lovely.

happy new year!

xo

ps
i also say that i have undiagnosed ADD!

Paula Clare said...

I don't have a cricut but have heard rave reviews from gals who DO have one...good choice!

Also, I think the one word for the year is pretty clever...I think my word for the year is BLISS. I will try to do things that only add to my bliss and do not detract from it...what thinks ye? Good idea?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails