Saturday, August 27, 2011

Some Deliciousness for Today and a New Magazine!

My blogging friend Kathy at Katie Did Stitches wrote a blog post yesterday about picking peaches....and not just any peaches, but Red Haven peaches...and making peach pie. Her post made my mouth water for peach pie and then I remembered,
"I'm not a pie person."
 I love to eat pie but pie crust intimidates the heck out of me.
 I need to get over that and just practice, practice, practice making pie crust...but in the meantime, I decided to make one of my favorite recipes for Peach Crumble. This recipe came to me by way of my sister Barb, who originally made it with rhubarb. It's good made with rhubarb but that isn't going to fly with David so you can substitute apples or peaches. (I know he has diabetes but the Educational Counselor he's meeting with on Monday said not to worry about diet until they met...this may his last hurrah)
This is my original recipe card, written when I was about 25 years old...the stains are so interesting and there's a certain crispness to the card. (Oh what would the health department say?)

 I had Red Haven peaches from our local farm so I thought I'd use them before they got too ripe.
I agree with Katie, the Red Haven's are the best. When you just eat one out of hand, you literally have to stand over the sink because they are so juicy.
See how juicy this peach is....oh yum!
 While I'm writing this post, I can smell the finished crumble from here.
The recipe calls for brown sugar and I prefer the dark brown sugar...I think it gives a richness to the dish.
This is what the crumbs look like before going into the oven. Can you have too many crumbs...I don't think so. In crumb-speak, I always feel that the more the merrier!
Completely cover the peaches with crumbs....reserving one last spoonful to eat while no one is looking.
Bake it for 40 minutes and take it out when it's nice and bubbly and brown on the top.


Now, you can pair this with good vanilla ice cream or whipped cream but I like mine naked and warm. I think I'll go downstairs now and have a little scoop while I read this.....

It just came in the mail today. 
 I will pour over it while sitting on the deck eating warm peach crumble...m-m-m-m-m-m!





Barb's and my recipe for Peach Crumble
  • 3 C sliced peaches (or rhubarb or apples)
  • 3/4 C sugar (I always use less, especially when the peaches are so ripe)
  • scant 1/4 C water (more or less depending on the juiciness of the fruit)
Mix together and pour into a baking dish

In a bowl,combine
  • 1 C brown sugar (light or dark)
  • 1 1/4 C flour
  • 1/2 C cold butter, cut into small pieces
Mix together using a pastry blender (I use my fingers) and sprinkle over top of peaches.
Bake at 350-degrees for 40 minutes.
Enjoy with a cold glass of milk or iced tea and a new magazine!

xoxo
Joyce

9 comments:

mimi said...

Ok that's it I am coming right over :) Fresh peaches make my mouth tickle but not baked ones (hehehe) I hope David is feeling better I have been thinking about you guys but afraid to call just in case someone is resting. Sending tons of hugs
xoxo
Mimi

Unknown said...

Joyce, I have so many things to say! Great minds think alike - at least as far as peaches go. What a fun surprise to see your peaches becoming a cobbler as my own will be doing so tomorrow. yum!
LOVE your post about your get together and steampunk tag - exactly what I have in mind with the little gears. Just beautiful work Joyce.
Thank you for the magazine info especially! Must get it to make the cute little house. Wonderfully inspiring visit here. Thanks for all you share! Elizabeth

Suz said...

Joyce,
What a fun post. Jud actually makes the pies here...hmmm...and his mother's secret after making wonderful crust all her life is to use the refrigerated folded crust. Not the one that is already made in the tin!
They are really a good substitute. This, however, looks like something I could do! I love the stained recipe card.I have a lot of those but yours somehow looks arty and vintage. I must get out to get the magazine. I love that issue.
Thanks for all your support. I am plodding through, one foot in front of the other, grateful that Jud is feeling reasonably good.
Big hugs,
Suz

Jenny's Heart said...

Peaches are my favorite, I made peach butter last year, oh my it was so good! I have not bought many peaches this year, I have not found a good crop anywhere, they are all hard as bricks and have almost no flavor! Frustrating, your crumble looks so good, vanilla or butter pecan ice cream with mine please....teehee :)

Jane said...

Oh, that looks so good!! And I totally agree, you can never have too many crumbles!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
That magazine looks fabulous. I'll be looking for it at the bookstore.
Have a great week.
Jane

marie said...

The Peach Crumble looks really good -but it's that magazine that has my mouth watering!! I think I need it! I wonder if it's out in the book stores yet?

Love your recipe card!!

KatyDidStitches said...

Joyce!

I left a comment for you the other day...but it seems to have disappeared! Are the Blogger gremlins playing with us again? I said something like this:

Gosh, Joyce...you're making me feel famous! Your crumble looks wonderful!

I used to be intimidated by pie crust, too...until I learned to be gentle with it. Stir it just until it starts to come together (I tend to overdo the stirring)...dump everything out onto a floured board...kinda push it all sorta together...and roll it out quickly, before it has a chance to think about it!

I made another pie and took it over to my in-laws. I'm their favorite daughter-in-law! ;o)

Now I think I'll have another piece of pie...and, although I don't have a new magazine to read...I'll try to make do.

Kathy

Heidi said...

I'm not a peach girl, but I'd sure change fast if I got to taste your crumble! Pie crusts are not a problem to me.....what IS, is the fact Mark likes a flaky crust, I like mine buttery....so I'm still working on that.

Your Somerset publication looks great. Do you have a project in it???

farmhouse-story said...

thanks for much for sharing this yummy recipe! my husband just loves peaches! and i love that magazine!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails