Wednesday, January 8, 2014

One Little Word for 2014

(I found these notecards at Michaels today...I thought the message was appropriate! 
Thanks Mary Engelbreit...you always know the right thing to say!)
Read on...

I can't believe that it's January 8th and I haven't told you my 
One Little Word for 2014!
(I know you have been waiting breathlessly for me to reveal the word!! Ha!)
Choosing a word is always an interesting process. This is my 6th year participating in this exercise. It all started with a post on the blog of Ali Edwards. She chooses a word every year to focus on and let it inspire her into learning more about herself and take some chances. You can read her post for this year right here, which has links to previous years. This doesn't have to be a difficult process, just one that makes you more conscious of who you are and where you are going.

My former Little Words have been
2009-FOCUS
2010-MANAGE
2011-SIMPLIFY
2012-CELEBRATE
2013-LEARN

Now I'm not going to rehash the successes and failures with these words and there have been some of both every year. I will only say that while I LEARNed lots of things this past year, I didn't LEARN some specifics that I really wanted to. I wanted to LEARN how to use David's fancy Olympus camera...I'm still plodding a long with my little one. I wanted to finally install and LEARN Photoshop Elements 10 which I have now had for 3 years!! I'm still limping along with my Barney Rubble publishing program. I wanted to LEARN to use my super duper Ninja Blender/Food Processor without amputating a limb...I gave my Cuisinart to my daughter when I bought the Ninja so I'm back to hand chopping. I wanted to LEARN to make bread...from scratch. Nope, haven't done that either. I'm only writing about this publicly on my blog to shame encourage me to LEARN these things even though 2013 has ended. I almost kept LEARN as my word for this year but I must move on.

I thought for a long time about my One Little Word for this year.
I couldn't seem to make up my mind, and then, in writing a message to my good friend Marie,
it suddenly appeared!
DECIDE !
There it is! 
There are a number of rather big decisions David and I have to make this year....
do we stay where we are or do we move. We've been talking about if for a long time. It is not an easy decision to make by any means. Either way we decide, there will be other decisions that go along with the BIG decision. I need to be strong and decisive this year. I have to let go of a lot of "stuff" that I've been hanging on to even though it's in my way. (I'm not being vague here...I'm talking about tangible "stuff") I need to clean out and tidy up. But first I (we) need to decide. 
I'll let you know how things are going...
I'll fill you in as I attempt to LEARN the things this year that I didn't last year.
Feel free to nudge me if I'm not reporting in.

I will leave you with a photo of the little scraggly amaryllis I wrote about in my last post


In less than a week....this little plant went from being almost dead to this!
There are even 2 more flowers coming along...


Thank you for stopping by. I love when you visit and I am thrilled when you leave a comment!

xoxo
Joyce


9 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw these ME products last night and I just LOVED this one and the one about it never being too late to start new! I also am still trying to get PSE 10 learned, why are we so intimidated Joyce? We are smart ladies! I am weary of trying to get going....
I am not picking a word this year, I just want to be OK......is OK a word??? :)

vivian said...

amazing little plant.. just needed a little care. I like that so many of our bloggy community pick out a single word for the year. I dont think I could pick just one word.. I think I might blog about this very topic this week at some point!
I like the words youve chosen over the years! all good words!
Heres to a year of good decision making!
xoxo
vivian

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Good word! Looks like I might have to stop at Michael's tomorrow and check out the ME goodies!
Warmly,
deb

Becky Garrison said...

It sounds like you and your husband have some similar decisions to what my husband and I have to make. He will be retiring at the end of this year, and we need to 'decide' what we want to do about our forever home. My word for this year is "DO" because I have so many things I need (and want) to do before this year ends. The Amaryllis is lovely!

joy said...

Hi, Joyce! I so enjoy reading your posts. You have a great gift for writing! I like your one little word - decisions are sometimes very difficult.

Your hubby worked magic with that beautiful amaryllis - stunning flower!

Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog! I so appreciate it.

Davi said...

Well is a interesting Post Joy! Love the past words and as we are always a work in progress I suppose that your response to your words are as well ;) I like your new word and sounds like you will be putting it into practice at lot! Your amaryllis is sooo beautiful, he just needed out of the store and into a home filled with love, amazing what a little tenderness and love will do:)

Mimi Sue said...

I think I love your OLW! I can never 'decide' on my own OLW! I can think of soooo many that would pertain to the things I need to work on :) Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas and that Amarylis is a gorgeous color. Good save David! Stay warm! Mimi

MiamiKel said...

What a wonderful word for you to have for this year - it's a lovely one and I'm sure a great anchor to make it through the year! Mine this year was Endurance :) The amarylis is just beautiful ~ wonderful pop of color, especially for the dreary winter everyone has!
Blessings!

Createology said...

Do you see me running behind...trying to catch up? I like your word. Having chosen my own words for many years now I find that I need to carry them forward and continue with all I didn't quite accomplish. They help me hone in on my weaknesses. Happy New Year and Creative Blessings Dear...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails