Monday, February 18, 2013

What I'm LEARNING so far this year......

Six weeks have passed since my last post.
A lot has happened in that time.
Trust me, you don't want to hear it all.
I'll give you the condensed version....
David retired from 40 years in the ministry and 24 years at First Lutheran Church on Sunday, January 13. There was a glorious worship service and a marvelous celebration for about 300 people. Some of our friends and family came in from out of town. So much fun!
On Thursday following, we left to visit our son Eric, DIL Jane and our 2 wonderful grandsons, Charlie & Miles.
We stayed with the boys on Friday and Saturday nights to give Eric and Jane a few days away.
On Monday, the 21st, we left their place to head to our favorite getaway place...
The Bellmoor in Rehoboth Beach Delaware for 5 days. We were looking forward to a much needed rest.
On the way down, I felt like I was starting to get some congestion in my chest.
I ended up sick for the week, only leaving the hotel for dinner (they have a wonderful breakfast each morning).
By the time we returned to Pittsburgh on the 27th, I had a full blown case of some strain of bronchitis.
Visited the Dr. and started on some antibiotics and steroids for 10 days.
As soon as the medicine was finished the sickness came back worse than ever.
I almost ended up in the hospital, but instead, went on a very aggressive course of steroids (my asthma made it impossible to breathe) which I will finish tomorrow.
Last Wednesday, the 13th, I finally felt well enough to meet a friend for a little while and go to the grocery store.
David decided he was going to work on the wooded hillside behind our house, clearing away some dead brush and trimming some broken tree branches. I questioned whether it was a good idea with the ground so soft but he had been caring for me for weeks and was anxious to get outside and "do some things".
I arrived home and found David 35 feet down the hill, on the ground. While trimming a tree, it had suddenly snapped off and propelled him down the hillside at an alarming speed. He tried to stop himself, got twisted and heard a snap as he fell. He had laid in the woods for about 30 minutes until he was finally able to scream loud enough for someone to hear. He thought he had broken either his hip or his femur when he fell. Two minutes after I got home, the paramedics, fire department and a news crew descended on our home. The man who heard his cries for help had called 9-1-1. Thank God.

There must have been 40 men flying about, developing a plan and putting the plan into action.
They decided to lower a stabilizing board down, load David onto it and haul him up through the woods.
These men, most of them volunteers, were wonderful! Efficient, fast-acting, kind.

David was extremely lucky!
He never lost consciousness.
There was no bleeding (and he takes blood thinners)
The outcome...
a torn hamstring tendon, just below the left buttock....very painful
Three days in the hospital.
He will eventually have 6-8 weeks of physical therapy but not yet. He is only allowed to walk using a walker and go up and down steps once a day. He needs to rest that area and let some healing take place.
We are grateful to the men who acted quickly...the man who called for help and the men who provided it.
We are grateful to God for his protection in a situation that could have been so much worse.
We are so lucky to have wonderful young neighbors who brought homemade soup, cleared snow from our driveway and sidewalks and are keeping an eye on us.
This retirement thing has gotten off to a rocky start but I think that means we will appreciate it even more when David is whole again. I am feeling better and will take good care of my patient.
I have learned, as I have 100 times before, never to take anything for granted.
David has learned never to even work in the yard without his cellphone in his pocket.
Our children have "grounded" him and said he can only play on the yard side of the fence.
This is the shortened version of this tale...but I've said more than enough.
I promise that my next post (SOON!) will have happy news and fun stuff!
Thank you to all my Facebook friends who have been following along and sending loving messages and prayers. We appreciate it very much.


Chenille Cottage said...

Oh...Joyce! First things first...I am thankful that your husband's cry for help was heard by someone who knew to call 911. What a blessing! I'm sorry your retirement has begun with some obstacles...illness for you and injury for your husband. In the coming days I hope things will quiet down a bit.

Secondly, I am tickled to have received word from Sandy of "521 Lake Street" that you are my Swap Pal. I have strolled through much of your blog and enjoyed it so much. I love your choice of soft colors and am looking forward...(and in fact, a few days ago I began creating...and would you believe the colors I had chosen are pastels with lots of soft pink)? I guess it was just meant to be!

Please take good care of that sweet husband and know that he will be in my prayers.

Carolynn xo

ps. You may notice that Sandy has referred to me as "Caroline". Where I live I am know by that name (I was named after my GGrandmother, Caroline) and I use it on my email address. On my blog I have chosen to go by "Carolynn" which is my given legal name. Just wanted to let you know in case you wondered.


So Thankful that your hubby didn't break any bones or worse! Happy that you are on the mend...I think you should try your vacation all over! Sounds like you need one after all this!

vivian said...

OH my goodness! I'm glad youre both ok. when your husband recovers, I agree with Deb above.. the vacation should be a do over! lol!
take care!!!!!

Perfectly Printed said...

Happy to hear you both are on the mend! Wow what a month your family had! Sound site you have wonderful neighbors!


Jo said...

Oh my, what a month! A very rocky start indeed, but maybe you're just getting all the bad stuff out of the way, so the rest of the year will be smooth sailing. :-) Glad things turned out well with David, for the most part anyway.

Sandy said...

Oh Joyce,

What a start!!!! I am so glad he didn't break bones, but that tendon is nothing to mess around with! Make sure he is a good patient! Take it easy and enjoy your swap partner! She is wonderful! Sandy

mimi said...

Oh my friend---I can't tell you how thankful I am that David is home and recovering and that you are on the mend as well. My wish for you both--a BORING rest of your retirement.xoxoxo

lynn said...

i'm so glad that now, today, we two can start the retirement you both deserve:) take good care, joyce!

Bev said...

I saw your 15 minutes of fame on the 6 o'clock news and been thinking about you guys since. I'm glad David had nothing broken and he is on the mend....and so are you! Makes me worry about my parents and their yard work, but I worry a little less because they do carry their cell.

Can't wait to see more of your fun crafting....

Mimi Sue said...

That is why when my David wants to clean the snow off the roof I am ready to call 911! He still thinks he has a 25 year old body. When in reality it is 65. Glad all is as well as it is. Mimi

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Oh my stars! I am so glad you are on the way to recuperation, but what a scary time for you all. We'll be sending up some prayers for you and David to continue to recover.

Sandy Camarda said...

I'm so sorry to hear what you and your Husband went through after you returned from such a nice time! Thankfully you are both ok now!! Hang in there!

Sandy xoxo

Jenny's Heart said...

Oh Joyce, what an adventure this year has started out to be.
Take good care of yourself so you don't relapse. I'll look forward to the next update.
We do serve a graceful God.

Heidi said...

Hi Joyce,
Glad to hear a little more details on the all the events I see whiz by on your Facebook wall! I'm so thankful your hubby is okay--well, on the mend for now! Winter is past...spring is around the corner, oh the anticipation of spring! Hugs, Heidi

NanE said...

Oh my word, you have had a time! So glad everyone is on the mend. At least you can snuggle on the couch and watch our Pens kick A__! :)

Elizabeth Andrus said...

Joyce! This is NOT the way to begin retirement. I'm with your children, you are both grounded from all illness and mishaps. Your joyful voice is one we need healthy. Prayers for you both dear friend! Elizabeth

Shirley Hatfield said...

I am so glad you came to visit me at Zetta's today...your comments were so kind. I hadn't seen your blog for I know why. You have had a lot on your plate! I wish both you and your husband speedy recovery and a more relaxing retirement.

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Dear Joyce:
I'm only just catching up and now realize just what happened to your DH. I can only imagine the extent of his pain and how much you and your family have worried about him. I'm with the kids, Dad can only stay inside the fence line and someone has to be home while he works outside! I'll say prayers for a speedy and complete recovery, my friend. You must have been terrified.
Take good care of each other and when you're ready, come back to your blog. I know you're loved and missed.


Related Posts with Thumbnails