Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Last Christmas Post

The most important part of Christmas for many of us is the celebration of the birth of the Christ child. Many years ago, I was given some Hummel Nativity figures. They have traveled with me from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh and 5 different residences. Every year they were the first items I put out to prepare for the arrival of Christmas Day. Mary, Joseph, Jesus, a shepherd, an angel and the wisemen would all be set out, sometimes using the wooden stable my Dad made years ago out of leftover paneling and sometimes just placed on a table top. Several weeks before Christmas, the year that David and I were married,  I set out all of the figures on our antique desk. When David saw them he said that Jesus should not be part of the display until Christmas morning; that Joseph and Mary were waiting for the arrival of the Christ child...



so Jesus was placed in the top desk drawer until the appropriate time.


Two days after Christmas I realized that I had not taken Jesus out of the desk drawer. I felt so guilty! David wrote a sermon about that titled, "Where Do You Keep Your Jesus?" I have never forgotten since. (He also thought the wisemen should be placed on a "far away" piece of furniture until it was time for them to arrive on Epiphany (January 6)...I drew the line on that. Gosh! I might not realize they hadn't come until Valentine's Day!)



Please take note of the two cute donkeys. They are not Hummels. They are salt and pepper shakers.
I thought they fit in pretty well!


The poor shepherd has not fared very well in his travels. He has several chips and at one point he broke in two. Would I replace him? No, to me he represents the brokenness of all people. We all have chips, cracks and breaks. Even in our brokenness, God calls us to himself and promises us eternal life if we just follow Him, like the sheep follow the shepherd.
And the angel said to them, "Fear not: for behold , I bring you good tidings of a great joy,
 which shall be for all people." Luke 2:10




Today I pray that the joy that was born on Christmas, be in your heart all year.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I love what you said about the broken shephard. So very true, Joyce. So wise. Thanks for sharing this. Sending you a New Year's hug! Linda

Celestial Charms said...

Joyce, you had me laughing about the Wise Men possibly not making their way until Valentine's Day. So funny. Beautiful Nativity pieces, and lovely sentiment.
Have a blessed New Year to you and your family.
Maureen

mimi said...

Joyce this is the most beautiful post. I loved the story of your Nativity when I first heard it and I so enjoyed reading it again. I especially loved the part about the broken shephard. It touched my heart!!
Happy New Year my friend
Love you!!
Mimi

marie said...

Such a beautiful post ~ full of truth, laughter and joy.

Your broken shepherd is a perfect illustration ~ I know I haven't always fared well in my travels. What a blessing to know He loves me anyway.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails