Thursday, September 22, 2011

I (finally) Pinned It and Did It!

I'm sure by now, many of you are familiar, if not obsessed with Pinterest. It is a mechanism for capturing and saving inspirational ideas to bulletin boards that you create. On my sidebar, you can see a link that will take you right to my Pinterest boards. On of my dearest friends, Marie of Spun by Me has started writing posts called "I Pinned It & Did It", showing projects she has created using inspiration found on Pinterest. I thought this was a great idea and wanted to jump in too! It's taken me a while but here is my first attempt.
Mamie Jane's blog is so inspiring that I think I've pinned more from her site than any other. Jane can take the most unassuming item and repurpose it to be extraordinary. I have named her The Queen of Repurposing! Click the link and hop over there...you will be amazed! I always come away scratching my head and thinking, "Wow, I never would have thought of that!" There are so many projects that I would like to recreate but I started with an easy one.
Jane posted the tutorial and the photos (here)  for this adorable pumpkin made with a skein of crochet cotton

How cute is that?

My take on that pumpkin....

a piece of branch, gathered from the yard for a stem, wrapped in coarse twine so that the stem doesn't slip right through the hole. The stem is wrapped in wire and the wire curled around a pencil to make tendrils, and then ribbon and a plaid paper leaf are added.


It is a dark and gloomy day today so the lighting is not what I'd like but I think you can see the details.
Thanks for your inspiration Jane! Your projects with crochet cotton alone could fill a book chapter....a book, that's what you need to do....write a book!

Thanks for stopping by today. Now go find some inspiration to pin!

I'm linking to this party...

xoxo
Joyce


14 comments:

mimi said...

Oh that turned out so cute!!!! I think I might just have to try this one. I love the way the copper chochet cotton looks :) Pinterest here I come......

Heidi said...

Great idea.....I need to show that I don't just sit around Pinning all day. LOL Or do I?? Pretty fall setting "pumpkin". I have 5 leaves on my table....that's my start to autumn decorating! Oh, and one important book, "Autumn", by Susan Branch! Do you have your copy out yet??? Hugs, Heidi

Unknown said...

Cute idea! Where is her link? Thanks for your sweet comment about my kitchen :)

Sandy xox

KatyDidStitches said...

LOVE this! I'm trying to gather different pumpkins for a Fall display...may have to add this to the group.

I don't Pinterest...yet...have a feeling it won't be long until I do. It's showing up on all my favorite blogs...but I heard about it here first!

Kathy

My Vintage Mending said...

Genius...so pretty I pinned it. Smiles...Renee

Jane said...

Hi Joyce,
I love your crochet thread pumpkin! That copper mist color is great and I love the ribbon embellishment. So glad you tried this project!!
Jane

LaurieStar said...

This is so cute! I think I saw it on your Pinterest! :)

Jenny's Heart said...

I may have to make that! I already have the cotton, what a cute idea.

Suz said...

That is a great idea, Sandy. I am just pinning like crazy. Usually at about 3:00 in the morning. How are you feeling these days? You are looking terrific!
Hugs,
Suz

Wendi said...

Adorable pumpkin! How much is a skein of cotton like that? I"m wondering if my little people at school could do pumpkins to take home, but I would have to buy the materials...

Suz said...

Joyce,
I was just writing on Sandy's blog. The comments are meant for you. I am a little loosey-goosey today!
Bugger hugs,
Suz

marie said...

I have this pinned too....Jane's creations are so amazing! I love your spin on this one..especially the "copper mist" color!
Pinning and doing is such fun...I only hope it's habit forming or I'll never get much made!

Erin said...

Oh, this is so cute, Joyce! And I *love* that you can assemble this as a temporary decoration for the season but still use the skein for a crochet project later on. Cute AND practical! Since I'm short on storage space for seasonal decor, this is right up my alley :) Thanks for the inspiration!

Melissa said...

Now THAT is my kind of project! Anyone could do this..thank you for sharing. I am a bit addicted to Pinterest myself :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails