Monday, February 28, 2011

A Swap For All Seasons....my amazing fabric collage from Michelle

Many times I've written on this blog about the  wonderful women I've met through blogging.
Generous, talented, caring women.
I've written about my (blogging) friend Michelle Rondeau in several posts here, here,
and here. I first "met" Michelle through her Etsy store Wood and Fabric . (please take some time to go and visit her store and blog)
For a long time I nagged  encouraged her about starting a blog and she finally did.
Now you can see all of the inspiring things she creates right here.
We have both participated in several of Linda Smith's, A Swap For All Seasons
 seasonal swaps (gee, that's kind of a tongue twister isn't it?) and for the most recent swap...A Fabric Collage...we were paired! I wasn't sure I was up for the challenge of this swap because I've
not done any sewing for many, many years and I didn't know where to start but Michelle
encouraged me to jump in and give it a try. Last week I received my 5X7-inch fabric collage
from Michelle. As of this post she has not received mine (she lives in Quebec) so I won't
show the pictures of the one I made but I couldn't wait any longer to show you
the one I received from Michelle. Please prepare to be overwhelmed!!



I really laughed when I pulled the package and card out of the envelope (an envelope made by the way, from a cereal box...very sturdy!) The carefully wrapped tissue was sealed with 2 postage stamps which is a trademark of Michelle's...she uses stamps on almost all of her art. And look at the baby on this card....I'm sure it's someone Michelle knows...what a cherub!


On to the collage....

A stamped and sewn fabric collage of extraordinary beauty!

My photographs could never do justice to the details of this piece.





Every little detail is perfectly perfect. Can you see the word kindred spirits right above the pin?
The tiny little chatelaine scissors sweetly tied with a button and attached to a small
cloth bag with a token inside that says joy.
A thin glass vial with the tiniest of pearls inside and a coin attached.
A cloth tape measure sewn around the printed image of a little girl.
The famous postage stamp.
And the back of the collage....

It's a pocket! Edged in lace and fastened with 3 vintage buttons, it opened to reveal...


a cloth wrapped packet of vintage ephemera!!!
It took me a very long time to open and carefully examine every little
detail of all that Michelle sent.....I love this collage and it will
hang in my craft studio as a reminder of a treasured friendship.
Thank you Michelle, for another piece of your amazing art!

xoxo
Joyce

15 comments:

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Wow..all of it ..sooo beautiful! Lucky YOU! Enjoy your lovelies..

Tamera's Craft Palace said...

Wow---it's STUNNING!!!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Oh my goodness...I loved every little tiny detail. One could spend a half hour just inspecting them all. Lucky girl! I can't wait to see the one you made!!
Also, I loooooved your Valentine display on your mantel. Such a burst of happiness going on there. : )
xo,
M.L.

Betty said...

Oh my gosh!! That collage is stunning!! I absolutely love it. From the little scissors to the measuring tape it is just perfect!! Lucky you!

marie said...

It is absolutely perfect in every single way and it is totally you! I love all the wonderful details! Now I'm off to visit Michelle!
Enjoy that beautiful piece Joyce!!

woodandfabric said...

Dear Joyce,
You're so very Welcome. It was such a fun swap and challenge in the same time. As I didn't use my sewing machine since so long. I had a hard time to make the button holes, oh my!
Your fabric collage didn't come today, maybe tomorrow!
And we're having a huge snow storm today! Winter is not over yet!
Michelle *Ü*

Suz said...

That is an incredible piece of art, Joyce. it is so personal and so perfectly executed. You (obviously) are just thrilled! I am going to check out her site and her store.

Say, I did get my Cricut and some cartridges. Next step, I think, is the Zuttle (i am not sure I have that right....the book punch!) I have barely had time to get it out of the box but that will come! Thank you for your advice.

Hugs,
Suz

vivian said...

lovely! lucky you! And isnt blogville the best place to meet the sweetest and most creative women? I think so!
Swaps are such fun as long as we dont bite too much off at once.. which I have a tendency to do. lol!
have a great week
xo
vivian

mary k said...

Joyce, The fabric collage swap was so much fun, and you really received a treasure. The work on Michelle's collage is fantastic. I
can't wait to see your piece. Love your Valentine post. It's time for me to get out your "Spring" banner. I posted on my blog a picture of a banner I made for a new baby girl.
My next project is a birthday banner for my Emma who will be four next month. Happy crafting!

Jane said...

You received a beautiful piece of art!! She didn't miss a detail.
I'm sure the one you created is just as gorgeous!
Jane

Hearts Turned said...

How absolutely beautiful, Joyce...every little detail...perfection! What a lovely swap...I'll bet yours is just as wonderful, my friend! Can't wait to see it!

Just saw your sweet comment on my blog--thank-you for all your visits, Joyce....You always say such kind things to me, and I truly appreciate it!

Wishing you a most wonderful weekend...

Julie

Diane Mars said...

That is just perfect, I sure love all the detail. You lucky girl!

Geri said...

Joyce, I noticed a very sweet comment from you on my blog and wanted to come thank you. What a fun idea this swap sounds like, and what a treasure you have received! I do hope we get to see what you came up with when Michelle receives hers!! Thank you again for visiting and following me!! I'll be back!!

Unknown said...

Lucky you! It all looks fabulous :)

Sandy

NanE said...

That is gorgeous Joyce! And the one you made for her is just as stunning. Have a wonderful week! xxoo Nan

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails