Monday, April 26, 2010

Roses, roses and more roses!

Estate/Yard Sale season is just getting underway around these parts. Last year, there was an extreme shortage of good sales and so I was hopeful that this year would be different. I went to two sales this weekend and did really well I think.
The first sale was at the home of a local antique dealer. She has this big, 3-day sale every year to clear out some stuff to make room for more stuff in the antique mall she shares with other dealers. This was my first time going to her sale and I was not disappointed! I am showing you the things I purchased from her before they've been washed...I was too excited to wait. This was the box of treasures I brought home...




Soooo many beautiful plates of different size and shape with roses!
She also had some pink Depression Glass plates. I use pink Depression Glass accessories
with my good china. 
At this sale I purchases 9 dessert plates for $10 and 4 luncheon plates for $8.

I also snapped up the 2 little Prince Matchabelli perfume bottles...I'll find something to do with those cuties!
Now, if you left click on any of the pictures, you will see the price tags as she had them marked for the antique store. One of the serving pieces was originally marked $18. Aside from the Depression Glass pieces, I bought all of the other plates for $1 a piece!!! I was so excited! My goal is to transform some of the plates into cake/cupcake stands using glass candlesticks as a base. I've seen these on some decorating blogs and they're so darn cute. I will certainly share the photos when I get them put together.
On Saturday, my partner in Estate/Yard/Garage Sale shopping alerted me about a good Estate sale in our area. I wasn't able to get there until 1:30 and immediately found out that everything had been marked to 50% off. I like the sound of that! I only got a few things...




Two children's books, 2 embroidered dresser scarves, 2 old bottles, 2 (one pair) of glass candle holders and a pearl and rhinestone pin! Grand total.....$2.75! This season is looking up already!
So, back to the roses....some months ago, I replaced my everyday dishes (that I had had for over 30 years) with a plain white set. The new set didn't come with small dessert plates so I had been on the hunt for those. Today, I stopped into Tuesday Morning...do you have that store near you? It's similiar to TJ Maxx on a smaller scale. Anyway, I always cruise every aisle cause you never know what you might find and when I saw these, I couldn't believe my eyes! Moda Home plates! I first saw these in a catalog a few years ago and really liked them but they were not available anywhere around here. They are melamine but they don't look like it. (Elyse, if you see this post, I just want you to know that I thought of you as soon as I saw these...they remined me so much of CK!)


I bought 8 dessert plates and 4 dinner sized plates to use on the deck this summer. The best part...

$1.99 for the dinner plates and $1.49 for the dessert plates. YAHOO!
 I am in love with all of my "rose" finds!
I hope you enjoyed my little shopping expedition!
xoxo

17 comments:

Hearts Turned said...

What gorgeous rosy finds this week! Love them all--lucky you!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

You made out like a bandit, Joyce! I'm partial to the crocheted edged dresser scarves!!!

mimi said...

Oh those wonderful plates!!!! I love the ones you got from the tent sale and WOW those Moda plates are perfect. I didn't get a chance to go to Tuesday morning today--you know what that means. I will be thinking about them all night--probably even in my dreams. I think Emma and I will be headed there first thing tomorrow morning:)
xoxo
Mimi~

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Joyce,
LOVE your vintage plates and the new ones too! I'm going to Tuesday Morning tomorrow as I'm looking for ones like those for my sunroom/porch! I've been checking the thrift stores...no luck there.
Warmly,
Deb :)

vivian said...

You did good Joyce! lots of sweet stuff! I kept my eyes open for yard sales this weekend but didnt see any! maybe next weekend.
hugs
vivian

marie said...

Joyce I love all your rosey treasures! The "celery dish" is beautiful. Don't you love a great bargain!

Elyse said...

GASP over the moda plates! joyce, you know that i will be on a quest at my local tj's and homegoods!

great finds yard-sale-ing (sailing?), too!

xo
elyse

Mimi Sue said...

You got some great deals this week. Love those Moda plates. I'll have to go see what I can find. Your china plates are wonderful too. I really haven't met many dishes I haven't liked. Mimi

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Wow!!! Great finds this week, Joyce. Looks like the Season is off to a good start. Love all the china from the antique dealer. I also love the crown perfume bottles!!! Lucky you!!!
And those Moda plates...I'm green with envy! You're right, they remind me of Cath Kidston, too.
Wonderful Tussie swap below. I love the one you received AND the one you made. I love how you used the coffee filter on the bottom. A really great touch.
Hope you're having a great week.
Mary Lou

Unknown said...

Good morning Joyce! What amazing treasures you discovered. I can't wait to see your dessert pedestals. I definitely need to get up the nerve to attend yard sales. My husband leaves tomorrow for a week; so maybe this Sat. I wanted to let you know that I have posted an information "WYWH" post. Please if any questions come up over the next month feel free to leave it on the post which I will check regularly and answer any questions. I hope you enjoy the little address card I made for you! Have a great weekend! E

Kateyed said...

Joyce,
Thanks so much for coming to my blog and becoming a follower. I am already watching my house fill up with stuff from yard sales/garage sales. My husband is suggesting another Etsy store :-) But...they are so much fun and like treasure hunts, right? You got lovely things. I adore the pink plates...we have a lot of pink in our house.
Suz

CHERI said...

OOOOOO....I'm envious! We don't have very good estate sales around where I live. You got GREAT deals, especially on the pink Depression Glass (which I also collect). You would have paid much, much more if you lived in my area! I did get some good bargains at an auction recently though. Would love for you to visit my blog and scroll down to that post. I'm new at blogging and am still trying to learn. Do come visit www.cherischatter.blogspot.com

Betty said...

Oh! I love finding beautiful plates at estate sales! Those are gorgeous! I also will have to go visit Tuesday Morning. I think those rose plates need to come home with me too!

Becky Garrison said...

Great finds! I'm looking forward to finding some good sales soon, too, but it'll be next weekend (5/14 & 15) before I can - my first craft show as a vendor is this weekend!

Frances said...

Hi ... I've stumbled upon your blog through "I Love Pretty Little Things" ... and Wow! What a beautiful blog you have created. So much eye candy. I love it. I particularly love all these rose treasures. I can imagine the excitement you were feeling as you found each piece. It's such a joy to look at your photos of them. Thanks so much for sharing. I am now a follower and look forward to your future postings. Hugs .... Frances

Sandy said...

Looks like you scored some great finds too :) :)

GardenOfDaisies said...

I LOVE the vintage embroidered dresser scarves with the crocheted edges! My grandmother embroidered, and I think that is one reason why I am so attracted to these old pieces. I have posted a few times about some of the embroidered pillowcases and tea towels that I collect, but I need to take pictures of the tablecloths and dresser scarves and do a post on those.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails