Saturday, May 14, 2011

It's Been a Long Month!

I have been home from the hospital since the Wednesday before Easter and I can finally say that I am starting to feel pretty normal. (Well, whatever that means!)
I won't scare you with all of the gruesome details but I can tell you that 12 inches of my colon is gone...along with some other body parts. The surgery was much more serious than we or the Doctor realized until he got in there. I was in the hospital for 16 days and it amazes me how you lose all muscle tone after laying in a bed for a few weeks. I have been working hard to just be able to walk up a flight of stairs without holding on to two railings. (I'm almost there!) When I first came home, I was filled with so much fluid that I could hardly drag my body around. It took 8 days (and 20mg of Lasix each day) to take 17 pounds of fluid away. (I have lost a total of about 24 pounds)
The day after I came home from the hospital, my daughter Michelle flew in from New Jersey for 6 days to care for me. I have always been amazed by her energy and determination but I can honestly say that I couldn't have gotten through that first week without her! She was a wonderful cheerleader and did alot to motivate me. Thank you Michelle. You gave me the greatest gift...the gift of your presence, and your loving care!
Our youngest son and daughter-in-love, Michael and Jackie, came for Mother's Day weekend. We hadn't seen them since before Thanksgiving and we were so happy to have them here. On Monday, Michael flew home to Long Island but Jackie stayed with me until this past Friday morning. It was the first time Jackie and I had spent "alone" time together and we really had fun....talking, watching movies...going to Target! I liked having her all to myself. Thanks Jackie...I loved your company!
The reason that Jackie stayed with me this past week is because David left on Tuesday for a 10 day trip to The Holy Land.....a trip of a lifetime for him. Of course, he was selected to go and the arrangements made months and months ago. I'm glad that I was healing respectably so that he didn't back out. He's having a wonderful time and is overwhelmed with the things he is seeing and learning about. I want to thank all of you who took the time to pray for me over the last 6 weeks....and those who left supportive comments and sent cards and gifts. Your thoughts and prayers saw me through a very difficult time and I appreciate it more than I can ever tell you. I was comforted to know that I was never alone...God was always by my side. The prayers of my family, my church family and my friends all helped me through the darkness back into the light. Thank you so very much.
I may not be posting very much until David comes home...he has our one and only camera so I can't take photos of anything. I just wanted you to know that I've come a long way and I'm glad to be back!!

xoxo
Joyce

27 comments:

GerryART said...

So very glad that you are back, recovering and blogging.
You are still in our thoughts, very much so.
hugs
Gerry

Debbie said...

Welcome home, Joy! It's nice to hear you're healing & that you've had special time with your family. Be strong & keep getting stronger each day.
xo
Debbie
===^..^===

marie said...

I am so happy to be reading a post from you and how great to know that you're doing well! You and I should have stair climbing races by
the way!! : )
What a treat for you to have Michelle with you ~ there's nothing like a daughter to motivate and encourage. We are so blessed to have wonderful daughters! I'm glad you got to have some special time with your Jackie too!

You remain in my prayers regularly Joyce...I pray the Lord strengthens you daily and heals you completely!

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the photos on that camera that David has with him. What sweet memories he must be making.

P.S. No Tinker Bell for Miss Charlotte...she wants to be "Pea-Ta" Pan himself. (and yes, she says it with a British accent!)

vivian said...

Im so glad you are back up and around and feeling better. I think its wonderful that your daughter was able to come stay with you. And how awesome for David to be able to go on that trip!
you can still blog with out pics.. post some oldies!
have a great night
vivian

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Bless Your Heart! You have been through so much and I'm so happy to hear that you are improving! Continued healing and take it easy!
Warmly,
deb

Unknown said...

Oh Joyce! I am so glad that you are better!!!!! I think of you often and send a little prayer your way.....plese keep up the good work! You need to come back down here to Arizona this fall and get some of our healing sunshine!!!!! Love, Sandy

mary k said...

dear, sweet Joyce, I am so relieved that you are making progress with your recovery. What a long haul you have had! You are always in my thoughts and prayers. How wonderful that you got to spend time with your daughter and daughter-in-law. I look forward to your blog
postings. Hope you will fell up to creating again very soon. Take care my dear friend, mary k

Cindy said...

Welcome home to blogland!We so missed you here in the little neighborhood.I am sure your ears were burning daily with us praying and worrying about you!!

I know about lasix I am on 40 mg a day for life.It will take a while for you to re build your muscles.Take it slow and do what those Dr.'s tell you to !!

We will keep you in our prayers.

Hugs and Big Texas Squeezes..Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I love a story that ends so well, I am so glad you are on the mend and had so much support, it is good to know people are there when you need them. Take care, we will all be here when you get your camera and feel like getting back in the swing, were not going anywhere!

Carol

deb said...

Thinking of you Joyce. We're all sending feel better hugs! (That's me and three little ones too). :)

My Vintage Mending said...

Miss Joyce it so nice to see you have made it back. What a wonderful family that helped you through. My prayer is that you continue to heal and grow stronger every day. Looking forward to seeing more and more of you...Smiles...Renee

Bev said...

Joyce,
Glad to hear your home and on the mend. You will be back to your crafting self in no time! Keeping you in my thoughts....

Bev

woodandfabric said...

Oh Joyce, so happy to read you again! Thinking of you!
*Ü*

Betty said...

So glad to hear that you are home. Take care of yourself and continue to get stronger!

CHERI said...

I'm so very glad you are up and about and that it sounds like you are doing so well. Sure hope you will be back to your old self as soon as possible. My brother had much of his colon removed awhile back and is now doing very well. Take it as slow as you need and hurry back to us when you can.

Elyse said...

hi joyce!

so happy to see a post from you. continue to get better and better and allow yourself the time you need to relax, rest and get well.

sending hugs and love your way

xo
elyse

Heidi said...

What a joy to see your post! And to read of answered prayers, and your special girls taking such good care of you! Hugs, Heidi

Mimi Sue said...

So glad to see you back and on the mend! So wonderful to have family that steps in when help is needed. Just let me know when you want me to come and help put together a chair. I'm an expert now! Glad your honey got to go to the Holy Land. I hear it's not to be missed. Rest and get strong. Mimi

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Hearing you talk about feeling better is music to my ears, Joyce. Keep up the good work. xo

NanE said...

Joyce!!!! I'm so glad to see you posting! And I'm so happy to hear that you are on the mend. Oh, and about the 24 lbs you lost, I think I found them! They are firmly attached to my rear end, ha ha! :) I've been trying to send you an email but for some reason it won't go through but I wanted to send you this link because I knew you would get a kick out of it! Hugs and blessings, Nan
http://dudadaze.blogspot.com/2011/05/p-is-for-prom.html

Unknown said...

You are a strong Woman! I am so glad you are home now and I wish you a speedy recovery from the surgery! I hope everything is resolved now that you did the surgery too!
Sandy xox

Unknown said...

Dear Joyce, It's still so frightening to think of all this having happened to you. It is such a reward to all of us to see you on the mend. Your smiling "voice" and quirky sense of humor have been greatly missed. Welcome back! Elizabeth

Suz said...

Dear, dear, Joyce,
I am so sorry to hear how serious the surgery was. I know first-hand how quickly you lose muscle tone and how hard it is to get it back. I am so glad your daughter came to help...and your son and d-i-love! (I love that). I have missed you so much and check often to see how you are doing. I thank God that you made it through and have recovered...and you are so kind to let your husband go with you. That is so sweet.
Just take it easy. Know you are loved and missed but we want you well.
Love,
Suz

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

I loved reading the "Happy Ending" to this story, Joyce. How wonderful that your children could come support, love and help you during all of this.
Sending continued blessing!!!
ML

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Hi Joyce,

Thanks for stoping b y my blog and commenting! Isn't their new line dreamy? I adore it!
Yes, I did create my banner. I used a mixture of stuff but I loved the blue flower paper that's from The Girl's Paperie Kitch line.

Have a lovely day, Lindsey

Nancy said...

Oh Joyce - I'm so so glad you are back and are healing. I stop by every so often and nothing new since the post your friend wrote and was pretty worried. Keeping you in my prayers. xoxo Nancy

deb said...

So nice to see you posting again. That crumb cake looks heavenly!! I was looking through the recipe and got excited because I thought I had all the ingredients on hand (I have a sweet tooth right now) but no sour cream. Maybe this weekend after I go shopping. Your card class projects are beautiful!! I love that Tim Holz die too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails