Saturday, December 19, 2009

My Swedish Dining Room

My husband is part Irish and part Swedish and I am German on both sides of my family. When we married and combined our two households, we kept the Scandanavian style in the living room and dining room and kept my hodge-podge of antique/country style in the family room. We have now oozed into a blended style everywhere and in the dining room the table, chairs and two buffet/servers are teak while the hanging shelf on the wall is Shaker and the jelly cupboard is a pine antique. It all goes together pretty well. At Christmas, I keep the decorations in that room primarily of Swedish style. Some things are old and some are newer Ikea. The tree is decorated with straw ornaments and shiny apples.

There are some antique figures on the shelf...skiers and cars...and sheep



The goats are made of straw and are newer ones from Ikea....I long for a wooden Dala horse...(the one pictured was found on the web...


The bowl with the tomptes (Swedish elves) on it is from Sweden as is the paper fold-out




The Santa figure is not old or Swedish, it just fits nicely in this room. The painted slate piece matches it although different people made them and were purchased several years apart.

Moving out of the dining room and into the entryway for a moment....I wanted you to see this glittery house...

first with the lights off...

and then with the lights on.
I purchased this at Pottery Barn last year after Christmas when it was 50% off...it's my favorite glittery piece!
The Santa and snowman are ornaments...I just thought they worked into this scene pretty well.
The last photo is of one of my Marjoein Bastin plates. I love her art....so detailed and realistic. I have many of her ornaments, snow globes and plates.
 
I hope you have enjoyed these photos.
How are your plans coming along for Christmas? Our cards have been mailed, our out of state packages have been wrapped and mailed, almost all of the shopping is done but......
I still have things I need to make.....some journals for gifts, some tags for a friend...I don't think I'm going to get to cookies this year, again, but that's OK because I did order some Cheryl's Cookies this year.....and we shouldn't be eating them, right?
 Next to ice cream-homemade cookies are my favorite dessert!
Are you having snow where you are? We have had about 6-inches so far..it's beautiful!
Stay warm and cozy. I'll be back soon!
When I come back, we'll peek into the family room.

6 comments:

Celestial Charms said...

Joyce, your home is truly beautifully decorated. Love that glitter house, oh so pretty. Painted slate always appears so finely detailed. So cute. Stay warm and stay inside...too many snowflakes right now in your part of the country. Enjoy.
Maureen

Michele McLaughlin said...

Just found your blog recently and am so enjoying it! Your home is lovely! I love your trees! :)

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Joyce, it's lovely! And I do so appreciate the Swedish touches; not so different than those of my Norwegian ancestors.

We got a foot a snow in a place where we may get a cumulative total of 6 inches any given year. I'm quite sure the state will be paralyzed on Monday. I come from the northeast, so this is junior varsity snow....but it sure is pretty!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Joyce,
I am completely taken with your theme decorating and honoring of family heritage. It's so beautiful and so interesting to know the background.
The ornaments you put with the Pottery Barn glitter house, just make it!!!
I was wondering where you got the beautiful angels in the first picture below. They make me smile. : )
Stay warm up there.
M.L.

Unknown said...

I think it's great that you combine decorations from both cultures! We had snow for 2 days straight but it may not be a white Chirstmas for us. Have a verry merry Chritmas and all the best for 2010!

Sandy xox

Mimi Sue said...

Your home is so festive. I love the Swedish touch. We used to live in California near Solvang. A cute little Danish village. They had some adorable Christmas decorations there. Have a wonderful, joyous, Merry Christmas. Mimi

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails